SudokuXP Forum Index The forum for everyone who solves sudokus @ paulspages!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chrome browser compatibility problem Sept 2015

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Chrome browser compatibility problem Sept 2015 Reply with quote

There is a problem with the latest version of Google's Chrome browser (version 45.0.2454.85 on Windows - other platforms may vary) running SudokuXP. The puzzle grid may appear blank after loading a puzzle, and numbers which are typed in may not appear either.

In most cases re-sizing the puzzle grid to 'XL' (using the radio buttons under the grid) will make the numbers appear, and in some cases you can re-size back to 'Large' (the default) and the numbers will remain visible. However this doesn't always work.

It's Chrome that's changed, not SudokuXP - the code is the same as before, and runs without problems in other browsers. I've filed a bug report to Chrome about this, and hope they'll fix it. In the meantime I'd recommend using a different browser (e.g. FireFox, Safari, IE) to run SudokuXP.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but this kind of thing can happen when browsers are updated. SudokuXP is an HTML/Javascript app, which makes it able to run on a wide range of devices (iPhones/iPads hadn't even been developed when it first appeared!), but does mean that things can go wrong when the browser software that supports it changes. This is one of very few such problems that we've had in 10 years of operation, so we've had a good run.

The Chrome problem does raise an issue about the future of SudokuXP though. The software is getting old now (so am I!), and I can't guarantee that I'll be able to keep it updated to take into account every change to every browser that happens in future (see 'The future of SudokuXP' at the top of this forum for more details).

So if you're thinking of joining SudokuXP, please bear in mind that problems might occur if your browser software is updated (although also bear in mind that you can almost always get round this by running a different browser). Please always check the free Puzzle of the Day version (http://www.paulspages.co.uk/sudokuxp/sdxppotd.php) before joining - if that works, then so will SudokuXP, although I can't guarantee that this will be forever.

Please note - it's important to keep your browser software up to date, because most updates include fixes for security vulnerabilities which could leave your computer exposed to attack. Whatever you do, don't delay browser updates in order to keep running SudokuXP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudokuXP Forum Index -> Announcements etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: